Official club name: The Friendship Force of Southern Oregon
Club history: Our club was established in 1997. It serves Southern Oregon and Northern California with most members living in the Rogue Valley.
Current membership: 42
Closest major airport: Rogue Valley International Medford Airport
It is a 1 hour flight from Portland Int’l Airport and a 1 hour 20 minute flight from San Francisco Int’l Airport.
Our location: The Rogue Valley lies in between the Cascade and Siskiyou Mountain ranges, about 125 miles from the Oregon coast and 14 miles from the California border.
Our climate: Hot, dry summers and moderately wet winters with about 17” of rain a year.
Best time to visit: May, June, September and October
Maximum number of ambassadors our club can host: 18
Southern Oregon has lots to offer: friendly people, beautiful scenery, history, great local wines, and outdoor adventure. It is home to the Oregon Shakespeare Festival in Ashland and the Britt Music Festival in Jacksonville.
About our exchanges:
On a typical exchange we try to highlight the many outstanding things in our area:
- Crater Lake National Park – Crater Lake is renowned for its unique beauty, clarity and deep blue color.
- Redwoods National Park - The majestic Redwoods are among the tallest and oldest trees in the world.
- The Oregon Coast – Take a walk on the beach and admire the dramatic coastline
- The Oregon Shakespeare Festival – Founded in 1935, OSF is among one of the oldest and largest professional non-profit theatre companies in thenation. Performances run February through early November. Tickets to plays and backstage tours can be pre-arranged by our club.
- Historic Jacksonville – This well-preserved gold rush town was established in the 1850s. Explore this small town on foot, with a trolley tour, or a fun Segway tour.
- Ashland – Home to gorgeous Lithia Park, art galleries, unique shops, and the Oregon Shakespeare Festival.
- Wine Tasting – Our area is an up and coming wine region. Visit one of our 70 local wineries.
- We will celebrate your arrival with a Welcome Potluck and say goodbye to our new friends with a lovely Farewell Dinner.
- A “free day” to go out and explore the many fun activities in our area: hike the Pacific Crest Trail, rent a Segway, go zip-lining or whitewater rafting, ride a jet boat, visit one of our local breweries, or just relax and enjoy the beautiful scenery.